- Permanent Link:
- Belongingness, Mental Health & Culturally Responsive Pedagogy
- SUNY Oswego
Laplante, Jade ( Speaker )
Hertik, Hannah ( Speaker )
Frederick, Alfred Daniel ( Speaker )
Saxena, Mamta ( Speaker )
- Publication Date:
- Copyright Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Quest 2021
- First Year Belonging and Success by Jade Laplante.
This presentation will cover the assessment, development, and implementation of first-year programming to assist first-year students in the transition to college. Through focus groups, and IRB study, and other assessment methods, better programming, and support services are being developed to provide the best support for first-year students at SUNY Oswego. ( ,,,,,,,, )
- Pets and Mental Health: An Exploration of Perceived Social Support by Hannah Hertik.
The purpose of the current study is to determine the associations between having a pet, perceived social support, and mental health in the context of COVID-19. The study will further examine associations between perceived stress, perceived social support, and mean differences among pet owners and non-pet owners. Online survey measures include a modified version of the Multidimensional Scale of Perceived Social Support (MSPSS) and the Perceived Stress Scale (PSS). Significant mean differences in social support and depression among pet owners will indicate petsâ€™ positive role in mental health. Implications will be discussed.
- The Impact of the Eurocentric Male-Defined Curriculum on the Self-Concept, Self-Esteem, and Academic Achievement of Culturally Diverse Student Populations: A Case for Culturally
Responsive Pedagogy by Alfred Daniel Frederick, Ph.D., Distinguished Service Professor.
The presentation is based on findings of the cross-cultural research
conducted in the Republics of Benin and Brazil. The objective of this research is to review and identify the educational, political, and social injustices that must be addressed in order to provide an educational experience that will serve to transform the structure of the traditional
male-defined eurocentric schooling process, particularly the curricula. The schooling process should be restructured to accommodate and enhance the academic achievement of culturally diverse student populations.
- Session Chair: Mamta Saxena
- Collected for SUNY Oswego Institutional Repository by the online self-submittal tool. Submitted by Zach Vickery.
- Source Institution:
- SUNY Oswego Institutional Repository
- Holding Location:
- SUNY Oswego
- Rights Management:
- All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
This item is only available as the following downloads: